Sunday, January 1, 2012

Day 1 --- Success

I am really happy with our first day's effort. We are heading to IKEA today and I wanted to do our 15 minutes before we left since I wasn't sure when we'd be back. The boys protested. They wanted to go ahead and leave since they knew they would get DS time in the car. But they went out with me anyway and we had fun.

We didn't really have a plan for what to do outside since we were rushing to get ready for our trip. We ended up walking around the block several times and doing a few sprint races.

Things we noticed:
-it's amazing how you can be cold when you step outside and how quickly you warm up and want to shed some layers once you start moving.
-our shadows were really strong today. We took a couple fun shadow pictures.
-the wind was very loud while we were out there. It sounded like a train coming toward us. Later Nate said he had read there is a wind advisory today.
-when we are all three running there are a lot of smiles and laughs all around.

3 comments:

  1. Very interesting idea, Laura. Can I ask which self-help book you got this idea from, or is it an original idea? I like it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laura - I love this! This Christmas I got "Last Child in the Woods" by Richard Louv. I've read bits and pieces of it, but want to finally read the whole thing. I work with a program called "Leave No Child Inside" through Chicago Wilderness. They have some great resources with ideas for backyard/neighborhood fun. I think you'll like this book - www.chicagowilderness.org/activityguide.php There's more info on this webpage too, with additional resources: http://www.kidsoutside.info/ Best of luck! I can't wait to see how it goes :) Cassie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Beth. The book is called 15 Minutes Outside by Rebecca Cohen. There is a link to it in the sidebar to the right. Thank you, Cass! I haven't read Last Child in the Woods but I'm sure it shares a lot of ideas with the book we are using. I would like to read it someday. Thank you for pointing me to those resources! Can't wait to check them out.

    ReplyDelete